Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Piano Practice

Just an excerpt of a sales e-mail I read today in my inbox. A good reminder for me so I am saving it here. :)

Here's a handy little checklist you can use foryour piano practice:
1. Find time to practice.
2. Practice the same scales.
3. Learn a new piano piece.
4. Get stuck on specific measures and could notmove on.
5. Practice on same piece and try to make itfluent.
6. Figure out correct fingering.
7. Make an effort to count rhythm correctly.
8. etc etc
9. Call it a day, go to bed, start againtomorrow.

If you're like 80% of piano players today, that's what your day is like. Stuck. Frozen. Unable to move forward with your piano playing.If you don't change your practice routine TODAY,you're going to kill your passionslowly (and drive yourself crazy), by doing thesame thing everyone else does.

=====What Was Wrong With This?=====

Music making is not just about practicing. It isabout understanding how music is put together. Doyou know why it is important to understandscales? What about chords, inversions... modulation... etc.

Most of your "practice" time is spent on the same old routine. By the time you're done, you have almost no energy or braincells left. Not to mention the whole practice routine is unintereting and boring.You need to understand how things are puttogether. Why is it important to understand different musical skills and how they are going to affect your piano playing.

Am I ordering? Not just yet! I am still passionate, I will never find it boring nor routine. I am enjoying my new found skill, still exploring my capabilities and find it a challenge to better myself and improve further.

Thanks anyway!!

6 comments:

A Friend said...

Hi Ydiana

Yes, practice makes perfect, or so, I heard. How long have you been playing?

Ydiana said...

Hello Friend

Not too long ago..! :)

Aren't you gonna write anything in your blog at all?

A Friend said...

Tsk..tsk.. Checking on me? Haha.

Ydiana, I am not a blogger. But I enjoyed reading your blogs and a few others. I don't have the luxury of time to write anything. Thanks for asking. :)

Ydiana said...

Ooooook..!

play piano tips said...

Well this blog is nice and it's color also is nice, well try to create an article and try to post that here, even your time is not enough to make one article just try that because that will add points to you and we (viewer) will have something to read on every time we view this, don't be angry i just want you to have more viewer and comments, every one wants to read or to see something that is new ^^, your blog is nice that is why i want you to post more here ^^.... by the way to all you can visit this http://www.playpianoguide.com I'm sure it can give some info and help.
Thanks!

Ydiana said...

Hi Scott(?)

Thanks for both the compliments and comments!! :)

Seriously, when I started this blog, that is what I wanted to do, but somehow, blog, being blog, you tend to stray from the topic... sometimes. Lol!

I will definitely try to write some articles on piano by ear and test my writing skill.